The Systems Engineer (SE5) will provide systems engineering and other technical assistance to customer’s requirements development and planning for National SIGINT systems. The effort requires participation in numerous meetings, working groups, and integrated product teams, product reviews, and status meetings to monitor the systems engineering plans, development, and deployment of space and ground processing systems. The Systems Engineer will work closely with MPO Systems Engineers to ensure plans are effectively aligned with those developed by NRO engineers. The goal is seamless integration across both enterprises.
In particular, the selected individual will provide Systems Engineering and Technical Assistance (SETA) support to the National Integrated Tactical RF Operations (NITRO) planning and execution of projects. This project will focus on an initial two-phased (“fail fast’’) approach, Phase 0 – Initial Feasibility Assessment and Phase 1 – Feasibility Verification and Validation Assessment. In Phase 0, the SE will provide and support commercial off-the-shelf engineering test hardware and software for supporting tests, model and simulate multiple waveform variants, define field-set functionality and performance needs to support concepts of operations (CONOPs), and conclude by performing limited validation testing of model and simulation results. To be effective at this task, the systems engineer must have a strong working knowledge of signal processing and signal propagation theory and practice. They should understand complex low probability of detection/intercept (LPD/LDI) signal modulation techniques (i.e. signal hopping and spread spectrum), signal bandwidth constraints, and antenna sensitivity patterns. In phase 1, they will expand commercial off-the-shelf engineering test hardware and software to support validation and verification, expand the model 0 to include more channels and additional waveforms, and define infrastructure functionality and performance needs in support of collection and exploitation CONOPs.
The systems engineer will be a key member of the team charged with the production of solid documentation of the customers’ requirements and a mapping of where, when, and how those requirements will be satisfied by capabilities to be deployed across the extended IC enterprise as the next generation collection and processing systems are fielded. The selected Systems Engineer will directly participate in structured analysis of alternatives (AoA) decision making processes as plans work through the appropriate decision gates. To be successful, the selected individual must be able to communicate with other program personnel, MPO overseers, and senior executives. They will have responsibility for the technical integrity, quality, and completeness of work performed and deliverables.
Individual Capabilities/Experience Required:
- Bachelor’s degree in a qualified engineering field or a related discipline from an accredited college or university with a minimum of 15 years of general systems engineering experience, a master’s degree or PhD in a qualified engineering field or a related discipline from an accredited college or university with a minimum of 13 years of general systems engineering experience, or a high school diploma or GED with a minimum of 19 years of relevant systems engineering experience.
- Should have robust knowledge/experience of space-based sensor systems.
- Must have strong working knowledge of signal processing and signal propagation theory and practice. They should understand complex low probability of detection/intercept (LPD/LDI) signal modulation techniques (i.e. signal hopping and spread spectrum), signal bandwidth constraints, and antenna sensitivity patterns.
- Must have experience leading contractor systems engineering efforts for projects to include supervising the work of project engineering staff and technicians.
- Must have experience independently making and supporting decisions regarding engineering issues and methodology of projects.
- Must have strong written and oral communicative skills. This position will involve drafting detailed requirements documentation as well as associated briefings of requirements and status for customer, DNI, and IC-leadership.
- Ability to assist in developing a new or innovative approach to a technical or engineering issue
- Ability to assist in conducting an evaluation to determine its suitability for project implementation.
- Ability to analyze and propose appropriate engineering standards and processes for a project.
- Ability to supervise or coordinate the work of other contractor engineers or technicians on a project.
- Must be able to independently make decisions regarding engineering issues and methodology for a project and brief stakeholders and present the status on all technical aspects of their project.
Individual Capabilities Desired:
Ideal candidate would be Overhead SIGNT SME. However familiarity with NRO and relevant NSA organizations and processes may be a suitable replacement for detailed technical knowledge of current Overhead SIGINT system capabilities.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org